Monday, January 02, 2006

The Wishlist 2006

So it's that time of year again when we all make those great resolutions and good intentions... Well, I took a look back on my list from 2005 to see how well I did. Here goes...


So… another new year in upon us, and here I sit thinking about resolutions. Well, I don’t do resolutions, but I do have some… lets call them, GOALS.

1. Pay off debts: This is a biggy. There is a lot to still do, especially with the car installments, but I really want to try and get it down quite a bit this year. Of course this may be a little more difficult if I have those dents fixed...

This one made some steady progress, but probably not as much as I would like, so it stays on as number one for this year. I have subsequently gained a reasonably good financial advisor, so lets see how this goes.


2. Exercise more: My gym contract will come in handy here. Last year I took almost 10kgs off my 3rd wheel, but went and put 3 of that back on over Christmas! Doh! So this year my goal will be to removed 13kgs and take my 15” tire down to a 10”.

My gym contract lapsed in September. I only found out about that in October. I re-signed-up in November. That should tell you how well this went... It stays. We'll try again this year.


3. Stop some bad habits: I bite my fingers often… particularly when I’m stressed. This year I’m gonna let them grow a bit. Some other rather not-so-great habits include swearing. Trying to control that one!!

Okay, the finger biting story didn't end... AT ALL. I think I forgot about this one right after I typed it up. The swearing? Hmm, it had it's moments. I'll leave this entry here for about year.


4. Stress less: I am bad in this. I get stressed quite quickly sometimes. Sometimes it takes me a while, but usually I get pretty badly stressed out. R E L A X. Life is not worth it.

2005 marked the first year as the NMMU. It was a highly pressurized, high emotion and high stress year, especially all the uncertainty surrounding our jobs and increases. And of course Management did a bang up job of screwing up the entire university... so basically I think I had a right to be slightly stressed last year. Having said that, I feel a lot happier about 2006. My stess levels should take a dive this year.


5. Take opportunities and make the most of them: I’ve had some huge opportunities come my way in the past and for various insecurities, fear and just plain blatant stupidity I didn’t take them. This year my inner 75-year old man is gonna pass away.

This was indeed an improvement last year. I gave the "thumbs-up" to a lot more opportunities that came my way last year and some have pointed their way to even bigger doors of opportunity for 2006. I'd like to become something more of a risk-taker this year.


6. Study something: My boss will love that. I have the chance to study for free this year and I think I may just do that. I’m in to the whole writing scene now, so lets see what happens.

Yeah... that never happened. However, I've found a fantastic writing course which I plan on studying this year.


7. Be more tolerable, but take less crap: Okay, so that may seem like a contradiction, but really, it’s not. Last year when I made a decision on something, I stuck to it, even in cases when I was wrong… So this year, we’re gonna try and loosen up a bit, but not be walked all over.

Yeah, that can come off... it makes no sense. lol


8. Go Overseas: I have been saying for the last 10 years that I wanna go overseas… this year I’m gonna make it happen.

This didn't quite happen, although I did take a trip to Zimbabwe early in February. My intention is to try and go more abroad this year, although I'm not going to make it a top priority.

9. Become Famous: Nuff said.

Still nuff said.


And new additons for 2006:

10. Make my own luck: I've come to learn more and more that luck is made more than it is received. You can make your own luck by making your own opportunities. This is what I intend to do this year.


Okay, thats it! 2006, Here I commmmmmeeeeeeee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home